Dear Panther Families,
Frankfort Independent Schools provides an unparalleled experience for our students and families with a commitment and investment to surround each and every child with social/emotional supports, academic/behavioral supports, and access to opportunities.
We value the unique attributes that each child brings to our classrooms and to our community. It is our mission to provide learning experiences and support systems that propel students, families, staff, and community members to become the best version of themselves. The three pillars of support transform our students and families in significantly positive ways.
We are committed to a culture of excellence and continuous improvement. Over the last four years, we have accomplished the following:
1. Passed the Equalized Nickel in September of 2016 (will be equalized and ultimately generate more revenue and increase bonding capacity from 1.2 million dollars to over 7.5 million dollars) which allowed for FIS to pursue QZAB funds.
2. Acquired a 3 million dollar QZAB which allowed FIS to improve Second Street School (K-8th Grade) and Frankfort High School (9th -12th Grade) in ways that include air quality, ADA compliance, creative learning spaces, safety improvements (one key system, camera system, main entrance improvements), technology equipment, and new furniture for students and staff.
3. Added Chinese Language classes for Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
4. Created a partnership with the City of Frankfort, Kentucky Capital Development Corporation, and Frankfort Plant Board to install internet in all students homes where there was no access, added hotspots in community centers (Kings Center, Walter Todd, Ewing Street Gym, and Salvation Army) for after school and evening support and access, and led a branding/marketing effort to attract families to the community with an emphasis on economic development/workforce development.
5. Established a 9th -12th High School focused on personalized learning through the Summit Platform, daily mentoring, project based learning, and standards based teaching and learning.
6. Initiated and formed a partnership with Kentucky Counseling Center in which we brought full time counselors and nurse practitioners into our schools to cover all students, staff, and families for any and all types of counseling including medical management.
7. Created a pipeline Pre-K through 16 with various components investing, designing, and reinventing teacher training, teacher recruitment, dual credit for students, teacher pathways, student pathways, and changing the transition periods so that it’s seamless for all students and families.
8. Secured a two year $400,000 grant from Kenan Charitable Trust focused on 6th - 12th African American Males and Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) opportunities and STEM Hubs for all students.
9. Navigated a strategic planning process to develop the correct context in order to create tactics and action plans that get results.
10. Inspired the community and school district to take a 3:1 approach (social/emotional supports, academic/behavioral supports, and access to opportunities/pathways with mentoring supports) as a core philosophy.
11. Partnered with SREB to focus on literacy, math, project-based learning, and pathway developments for students.
12. Awarded a seven year Gear-up Grant that supports our families and students to bridge the gap between high school and college opportunities (including trade school, junior college, and post-secondary training).
13. Created a Profile of the Graduate scorecard focused on skills, attributes, and knowledge that students must demonstrate before they graduate from Frankfort High School.
The Frankfort Independent Schools team is a champion of providing supports for our children and families on a daily basis. As you review our website, we welcome suggestions on how to continue to improve and add options for our students and families to grow, learn, and invest in our community. Thank you for your dedication and commitment and for your investment in Frankfort Independent Schools!
Houston Barber, PhD
Frankfort Independent Schools